Chocolate Cake

This cake has a story. My daughter, who does not like to cook at all, reminded me the recipe about one year ago. I had forgot it, completely. She is 26 now. She and her brother used to bake it as children. She might have been less than 4 when she started to mix the ingredients, arguing with the older brother to be the chef and not just the helper. So, this cake is so easy that it can be done by a child. But i forgot it, I had never written the recipe, and, since my kids stopped to make it, I had never done it again. I had not included it in the list of about 1300 recipes I offer to my potential clients/students to pick from , for their class. This simple, delicious, soft cake was just left in a dark corner of my memory, without any reason. Until my daughter came up with this question:
- Why don't we make the chocolate cake we made as children? -
Making me falling from the clouds.
Actually I remembered my beautiful kids with apron, whisk, spatula, working and arguing around the bowl of the chocolate mixture, but I had no idea how they made it. I knew at that time, as I thaugh it to them.
The recipe was given me by a doctor, the gynaecologist who assisted me in the delivery of  my daughter. She is from Trieste, in the region of Friuli Venezia Giulia, a norther eastern region of Italy bordering with Slovenia and Austria. She told me that this is the real Sacher Tort, which, in the original form, has not apricot jam and no flour.
After 22 year my daugher, instead, remembered exactly the weigh and amount of each ingredient. Fantastic! It is now one of the "best seller" at GiglioCooking school.
MARCELLA’S SACHER
SACHER DI MARCELLA

Ingredients:

120 gr ( 4 Oz) dark chocolate
120 gr ( 4 Oz) butter
100 gr ( 3 Oz) sugar
3 tbs bread crumbs
3 eggs

120 gr ( 4 Oz) dark chocolate for the frosting

Optional apricot jam


Cut the chocolate and the butter in pieces. Put them together with the sugar in a bowl over a pot of boiling water until melted.
Keep on stirring to cool down.
Add one egg at a time alternating with one spoon of bread crumbs.
Bake at 150° ( 300 F) for about 30 minutes.


Optionally, make 2 thinner cakes. Assemble them with the apricot jam in the middle.

CHOCOLATE ICING:

Ingredients:

60 gr ( 5 Oz)  Powdered Sugar
1/4 Cup Water (60 ml)
150 gr (5 Oz) Semi –Sweet Chocolate

Procedure:

            Make a syrup using the sugar and the water, bringing it to 106° C. Let it cool . when it is still warm, Add the chocolate, cut into pieces, and whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
 Use immediately.


Instead of using the chocolate icing, you can decorate your cake in other ways: in the photo there are strips of cocoa powder , candied orange and raspberries in syrup.

Comments