The brothers Cosimo & Che Spiotta



CHE


COSIMO




I met them in the coldest day of the year, in Upstate New York, in the beautiful house of Marcey Brownstein.


This is the kitchen of the cooking class,......


.... surrounded by the peaceful view of the snow behind the glass walls.



During the explanation of the recipes of the day, both Cosimo and Che were listening to me with wide open eyes; I could see through them the film of the amino acids combining together to form the gluten net and continuing to move with a dance until, tired, they would stop and let the pasta dough to relax ,  loosing its elasticity.

The faces interested, a  hint of smile on their lips ( a deeper smile in their eyes), the hands moving correctly as kneading the dough.

I knew on that occasion that Chef signed up to participate to Master Chef Junior of America and,  some  time later, when I was already back in Italy, I knew that Che had been admitted.

Not only he was admittted....

HE WON!


He is currently the Master Chef Junior of America.
Pictures of him are all filling up the web.
Like here:


He and his family decided to come to Florence and take a class with me once again.

It was July 28th. This current year.  Che had just won a few weeks before.

So… the bell rings, I push the button to open the gate and  go out in the courtyard. The gate opens and two fast pairs of  legs start to run toward me at the same time the loud voices of Che and Cosimo are screeming:

MARCELLAAAAAAA

I felt myself hugged tied.




The lesson at GiglioCooking starts.




They all worked hard: the brothers and the rest of the family friends.



Che is the oldest of the two brothers.


Here they are.

When finally they gathered at the table for the tasting, I asked to Che  how was to be in a TV show, if he was under pressure or emotional. The big answer was:

- It was FUN -

I made some footsteps around, doing things in the kitchen and thinking about that simple “Fun”. Then I went back to the table and I asked:

- Che, do you want to know my opinion  why you won? -
- YES! Of course, I would be happy to know -

- You won because YOU HAD FUN.  You didn’t go there with the intention to compete or to be on TV as main targets. Your target was to cook and have fun with cooking. You were playing with food, always with a sincere happy smile on your face. You were HAPPY just to cook. This is the reason why you won - 



I am sure that both Che and Cosimo will do great things in life - they have they same curiosity and the same sweet aptitude -. My most sincere wishes to both.


Looking at these photos, do you guys believe I was right?

Comments